Last evening I finished what I'm calling the "last draft" of Carousel Seas. It's a slightly more tentative last draft than my "last drafts" usually are, but! unless the beta readers (who now have the manuscript in hand) find something Irrevocably Broken, this is the draft that will go to Madame the Editor, who will, in the fullness of time, request such revisions and/or clarifications as seem Good to her.
For those playing along at home, the final score is 106,715 words. This was more than I expected, but as explained elsewhere, the villain was chewing up the scenery and I let her have her head.
Or, yanno, she would've had mine.
So! What this writer is doing today, as a reward for having been a Good Writer and finished a book (the third book completed this year here at the Confusion Factory) is:
1. A podcast interview (with Steve), rescheduled from yesterday
2. Cleaning up All The Stuff Trooper threw down from those High Places that he has made his own, and deciding where in ghod's name to put it
3. Doing the laundry
4. Waiting for the electrician to manifest, sometime after noon
5. Paying the bills and balancing the checkbook
6. I'm also considering vacuuming the house -- but that might make for too heady a celebration
The next book (the first of the five interlaced Liaden books that will comprise the end of the Agent of Change/Theo Waitley story line) is due on May 15, 2014. We have a short story due in September, and I ought to write an Archers Beach short story -- actually two, per character request -- but, in essence, for today at least. . .
I never have to write again!
. . .and that feels swell.
- Current Mood:free!